Testing the Water
The move to Rock Island was fairly abrupt. The Council announced the move on April 11, 1949. Camp was set to open June 26. Docks and the Crib had to be build, a kitchen erected, and so much more. Imagine building a camp from scratch in approximately 9 weeks.
Camp would run for nine weeks that summer with each week holding approximately 125 to 150 Scouts. Scouts camped “bivouac” style that first summer–individual two and four man tents around the property, but campsites by troop would be introduced the following summer. 1949 was the last time Ward Akers would serve as Camp Director.
It was a lot of work. Here are some of the adult leaders taking a break to test out the first purified water from the Caney Fork River. Some were professionals and some were volunteers. From left to right were Floyd “Q-ball” Pearce, Field Executive Talmadge Miller, Everett Hertenstein, Field Executive Floyd Laney, Field Executive Craig Ayers, Council Executive Ward Akers, and local Scoutmaster Wayman Hillis.