From the Archives, November 17, 2025

OA Membership

The Nashville Council’s OA Lodge, Wa-Hi-Nasa, was founded at the Narrows of the Harpeth Boxwell in 1938. Eight members formed the nucleus of the chapter, five youth (Roy Shaub, Hilary Osborn, O. E. Brandon, Jr., Lynn Farrar, Forest Glascow) and three adults (James Gribble, W. J. Anderson, and Tillman Newsum).

The induction ceremonies were held on May 21, 1938. Summer camp started about a month later on June 20 and ran for eight weeks. The Lodge would be significant players over the next several years, bringing Native Americans activities and “ordeals” to summer. Some ceremonies were held near remains of the Montgomery Bell mansion, while others were held on the bluffs the Harpeth surrounded.

Shown here is the original 1938 Order of the Arrow membership card of founding Member, O. E. Brandon. Brandon would return to Boxwell in 1939 as an Eagle Scout and a Junior Leader, part of the youth staff.

Original OA Membership card, 1938

The OA Membership card of O. E. Brandon, 1938. Collection of O. E. Brandon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *