Celebrating Boxwell’s Centennial
Here we are: Boxwell’s Centennial Year! We’ve been planning for this for a long time and even now, all of our ducks aren’t in a row. But at Boxwell, there is a saying, “Improvise and Adjust!” I also recall my generation saying “Good enough for government work!” Either way, we’re moving forward!
We have several things on the board this year that we wanted to share. Here’s what you can expect from us over the next few months:
1) Our regular “From the Archives” posts along with some occasional “Archives Rewind” posts, when we pull particularly interesting older posts and run them again (and corrected if we made errors at the time). We’ve been doing this awhile now and not everyone has caught everything!
2) “On This Day” will be a new regular series for this year only. We’ve compiled a list of important moments in Boxwell’s history and when those dates roll up, we’re going to publish a notice telling you what happened. It will be short and sweet, but you’re going to learn new things.
3) This summer–specifically on Saturday, July 3–we are planning a Boxwell Centennial Day to celebrate Boxwell’s 100 years. The day will involve a staff reunion, celebrating those who have made Boxwell program happen over the years. Mark your calendars!
5) In conjunction with the Council, we’re planning on publishing an ACTUAL history book on Boxwell. Tentatively, it is titled For the Good of the Program: A Century of Middle Tennessee Scouting at Boxwell Reservation. It will be the only history of Boxwell that has ever been written.
6) We are also planning on some short history videos on each of the Boxwells. These will be completely original content, written and produced by VirtualBoxwell. Fingers crossed that those won’t appear too amatuer-ish!
So, to kick the year off we want to put something out there we’ve discussed on several occasions, but have never made publicly available before: The 1967 Boxwell Promotional Film. We have posted the entire film on our new YouTube channel and we encourage you to watch it. It is a treat; a real look into days gone by.
This will not be the last promotional video we publish this year either. We’re pulling out all the stops for Boxwell’s Centennial. Please, check in often. In the immortal words of a great staff member, “Camp Is Rough, Camp Is Tough, I Like Camp!”