Today is the last day for Carl Adkins to serve in the position of Reservation Director. He is officially retiring. A party is planned to give him a proper send off.
We at VirtualBoxwell would like to say thank you and good luck to Carl as he begins the next phase of his life. Serving from 2004 to 2017 makes Carl the second longest running Reservation Director and that is quite feat.
Congratulations Carl from all of us here at VirtualBoxwell!
2007 Staff ID photo of Reservation Director Carl Adkins. Photo by Carl Head.
We continue our look at some Council history this week with two more pages from the Council publication Half a Century published in 1970. Unlike last week, this time we get a little information that is Council specific, but not a lot. Again, let’s fill in some holes.
Leslie Boxwell retired as President of the Council in 1947; Coach William Anderson retired later that same year. From 1948 through the 1950s, Ward E. Akers served as Council Executive. The number of Scouts had risen from 2941 in 1940 to 4100 by 1946. We don’t have any 1950s numbers, but know that the baby boom is on the way! Council troops participated in the war effort; Anderson warned of the dangers of Communism after his retirement. With the arrival of Akers, the council reorganized by districts and the ranks of the professionals exploded. The Long Hunter Award was introduced in 1952 and the first Woodbadge course held in middle Tennessee in 1952 (WB-34). In 1959, the co-ed version of Exploring was introduced.
And on the Boxwell front? These pages mention the very beginnings of Old Hickory Boxwell, but they ignore the other Boxwell history. Boxwell at the Narrows continued until 1948. Boxwell moved to Rock Island in 1949 and stayed there until 1959. Apparently, the Rock Island Boxwell was not satisfactory as a new location was desired as early as 1952!
The Forties and Fifties section from the 1970 publication, Half A Century.
Half A Century, Part 2
We continue our look at some Council history this week with two more pages from the Council publication Half a Century, published in 1970. Ironically, the write up here on the 1930s has almost nothing to do with the Council. So, let’s see if we can fill in some holes.
Coach William Anderson served as Scout Executive and Leslie G. Boxwell served as Council president throughout the 1930s. The number of Scouts had risen from 277 in 1920 to 2040 by 1930. By 1940, the total number of Boy Scouts was up to 2941. 1938 was a particularly pivotal year as both Cub Scouts and black Scouting were added to the council roster. Wa-Hi-Nasa was also founded in 1938. Scouts also served as Governor and Mayor for a day and participated in an annual Field meet. Percy Warner Park was high traffic area for Scout camping and hiking. And this is just the tip of the iceberg!
Let’s not forget, the second Boxwell opened at the Narrows of the Harpeth in 1930. It would remain there throughout the decade. The group of small photos in the bottom middle are all of Narrows of the Harpeth and were in the possession of Council President Jimmy Stevens, who was a staff member there in the early 1940s.
“Thirties” from the Middle Tennessee Council publication _Half a Century_, published in 1970
Half A Century, Part 1
Over the next few weeks, we thought it might be nice to do a little review of the Council’s history.
The Council was officially formed on March 1, 1920, though Scouting had been going on in middle Tennessee for years before this. In 1970, the Council celebrated this half century with the publication of a glossy paper booklet titled “Half a Century.” The booklet broke down the Council’s history by decades and include historic photos and a brief write up of each period.
This week is the 1920s. As you may remember, on July 5, 1921 the first Boxwell opened at Linton.
“Twenties” from the Middle Tennessee Council publication _Half a Century_, published in 1970
We have some site updates and Boxwell related news to pass on.
First, the news. Reservation Director Carl Adkins has announced his retirement, effective December 31 of this year. He will be a consultant for 2018 to help the transition for the new person, who has not yet been announced. A new era is upon us!
Next, we’ve completed some site updates over the last few days. Here are the changes:
2017 Staff Photos added. Thanks to Meredith MaGuirk, Craig Carpenter, and Ed Mason for the photos.1996 Stahlman Staff Photo added. Thanks to Alex Cox for submitting a “lost” photo!
Craig Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/craig_staff.php
Stahlman Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/stahlman_staff.php
Reservation Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/reservation_staff.php
Staff Hats added for 2015-2017. Thanks to Ed Mason for keeping tracking of these.
Staff Hat “Exhibit”: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/spex_staf_hat.php
There are more changes/updates coming this fall.