It was time to update the banner image. The logo doesn’t work as well as we would like with this image once it is made into a banner, but the original image is a great one. Below is the original by Jeremy Gillard. This is a photo of John Hutchins at Horseshoe in 2004.
We have some site updates and Boxwell related news to pass on.
First, the news. Reservation Director Carl Adkins has announced his retirement, effective December 31 of this year. He will be a consultant for 2018 to help the transition for the new person, who has not yet been announced. A new era is upon us!
Next, we’ve completed some site updates over the last few days. Here are the changes:
2017 Staff Photos added. Thanks to Meredith MaGuirk, Craig Carpenter, and Ed Mason for the photos.1996 Stahlman Staff Photo added. Thanks to Alex Cox for submitting a “lost” photo!
Craig Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/craig_staff.php
Stahlman Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/stahlman_staff.php
Reservation Updates: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/reservation_staff.php
Staff Hats added for 2015-2017. Thanks to Ed Mason for keeping tracking of these.
Staff Hat “Exhibit”: http://www.virtualboxwell.org/spex_staf_hat.php
There are more changes/updates coming this fall.
Happy Boxwell Day!
On July 5, 1921 the VERY FIRST Boxwell opened in Linton, TN.
A truck picked up Scouts going to camp at the intersection of the Belle Meade and Harding Road at 10am and 4:30pm. Camp only ran for about three weeks at the time and cost less than $6 a week!
We are hoping to start a new tradition, not just here at VirtualBoxwell, but across Middle Tennessee Council by celebrating BOXWELL DAY–a day commemorating the opening of the first Boxwell.
To that end, we ask for two things from you:
1) Share this message far and wide. If you use social media, share the post. If you are looking on the website, share the link. Spread the word so that everyone knows this is a new Middle Tennessee Council holiday!
2) Take this opportunity to share your favorite Boxwell stories in the comments AND, if you are staff member, contact an old friend and reminisce about years gone by!
Thank you to all the professionals, volunteers and staff members who have worked for almost 100 years to keep Boxwell alive and flourishing!
Happy Boxwell Day everyone!
As is often the case when the summer arrives, we have made some updates to the site and more are on the way. And we are working on some new content, but we’re not quite ready there. In the meantime, here’s a quick run-down of the updates:
1. We’ve updated this year’s staff leadership. Visit the Staff Page, choose a camp, and go to 2010-2019. You’ll find a link there with the newest directors.
2. We’ve also added “Head Cooks” to the roster on the Administration charts. If you remember who the head cooks were from about 1999 to 2015, we’ve love the info.
3. We’ve updated the Woodbadge page with our new collection of photos.
4. Updated camp maps.
5. Updated copyright dates.
6. New Banner Image. We’ve added a new image as well. This is a Scout participating in COPE activities this summer.