Staff Week, Camp Parnell, 1993
Believe it or not, Staff Week 2017 officially begins today. So, in recognition of the fact that we are now entering the Summer Camp season, we give you some history on… Staff Week.
Pictured here is the Parnell Waterfront in 1993. Aside from the obvious historic fact that this shows Parnell when it was a working camp, the photo also shows some significant changes The poles in Parnell Bay are Railroad rails and they would be painted over every year; something that is not generally done now.
More importantly though are the docks. Today, the docks never leave their anchored locations; they stay put year round. From the 1960s all the way up through the early 2000s, the docks were disconnected at the end of every summer and taken to Parnell Bay, where they chained for the winter. Then, in the summer time, Stahlman’s docks were disconnected from the Parnell/Craig docks and the process started all over again. Ah, Staff Week.
(As a shameless plug, don’t forget to check out of “A Complete Summer: Parnell 1993” Special Exhibition page.)
Painting the rails in Parnell. It appears to be Mark Sala (l) and Eric Cole (r) doing the painting. Note the docks in the background; Stahlman has already retrieved theirs.
Camp Parnell Updates
We’ll continue our Boxwell updates this week. This week’s change is another that is critically important, but also is not super “sexy.” Still, there will be a few out there who will be happy about this! As the new STEM program grows at Camp Parnell, updates needed to be made. So, two big improvements this summer, though neither of them photograph very well!
The first photo demonstrates a very simple fact: Parnell Dining Hall has water again! No more port-a-potties at the STEM Center. The other issue that has now been resolved is cooling. No more ceiling fans; new air conditioning units have been put in to the dining hall as well.
Is Parnell back up and completely operational again? No. But having the dining hall back in fundamental working order is a huge step!
New Parnell Dining Hall Fire Hydrant
One of two new air conditioning units at Parnell Dining Hall.
“With the Scouts,” July 10, 1921
Throughout the 1920s and into the 1940s, the local newspapers ran sections specifically about Boy Scouts. These went under various names, such as “With the Scouts,” as seen here, or “Boy Scout News” or something else. The Tennessean gave a whole page for several years called “The Nashville Scouts’ Own Page.” The news was similar: council news, yes, but predominantly Troop news. After all, writing articles was part of what a Scribe did!
Here is an article from July 10, 1921. The second part is some troop news (rather brief this week), but the first part is about Boxwell. Indeed, this article is discussing what the very first week at the very first Boxwell was like…
“With the Scouts,” The Nashville Banner, July 10, 1921, pg. 14
Waste Water Treatment Facility
(We apologize for the late posting; we had some weather issues!)
As the 2017 camping season approaches, it seems like this might be a good time to show some of the changes that have gone on at the reservation over the last year. Not all of these changes are “sexy,” but some were entirely necessary.
The biggest change in terms of scope, cost, and “un-sexiness” is a new waste water treatment facility. Located right next to the original facility on the road down to the Boat Harbor (the fenced area is the old treatment plant), the new facility is considerably larger and no longer allows any kind of waste to empty into the lake. The next time you visit Boxwell and you notice that the grass up around the Cripple Crab is especially green, well, now you know why!
The new treatment facility between Stahlman and the Boat Harbor. To orient yourself in the photo: directly ahead in the fence is the old treatment plant, to the right is Stahlman, to the left is the Boat Harbor, and behind is the Boat Harbor Maintenance area.